Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Treasures from Taipei

Hello!

I'm back from Taipei and I am missing the food and the shopping there already! 

While I was there, I visited Taipei's Do-it-Yourself (DIY) district, where there are over a dozen bead shops lining the two blocks on Yanping North (延平北) and Changan West (長安西) roads (the area behind Taipei Main Station). Most of the the stores focus on crystals, acrylic beads and the occasional gemstones/semi-precious stones. My treasure hunt ended up with my purchase of several interesting beads and I can't wait to incorporate them into my new designs!

A sneak peek at some of the pretty beads I bought:



While I was at Ximending (西門町), I also visited the Red House Theatre (紅樓劇場). Built during the Japanese Occupation in 1908 as a market, it was later used as a theatre from 1945. Now it also houses several interesting and quirky stores featuring the works of independent artists. 

My favourite store there by far was Picobaby. At first glance, you see these really cute robot pendants and on closer look, you will realise that they are all made from recycled electronic parts, such as resistors and capacitors! I ended up buying one for NTD 680. It is just so cute!




You may visit Picobaby's website at www.picobaby.com.tw.

Another store which caught my eye was Steven's Glass Wonderland. The store is lined with various handmade glass jewellery and ornaments in all sorts of colours, it is simply hard to give the store a miss. Ended up buying a pair of pretty earrings for NTD 400.




You may visit Steven's blog at www.wretch.cc/blog/stevenljw.


I am currently working on some new designs so stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment